Today, a new variant of the Cyptomix Ransomware was discovered by MalwareHunterTeam. It’s been two months since last variant was released. We’ve noticed some differences compared to its predecessors. Let’s take a look at these changes:
- The filename of ransom note has been changed to _HELP_INSTRUCTIONS_.TXT
- The contact email has become firstname.lastname@example.org
- After a file is encryption by the ransomware, it changes the filename and append .MOLE66
How to Protect Yourself
Unfortunately, a functional decryption tool is not available. To protect your digital assets from being hijacked, it is very important that you keep good habits and use a decent antivirus software. There are few tips you should keep in mind:
- 1. Be cautious of any application or documents received from unknown source. Scan it with antivirus prior to opening it.
- 2. Install an Security Product with anti-ransomware capability. See 360 Total Security.
- 3. Update your operating system and important component, such as Flash, Adobe Reader and Java, as soon as there are updates.
- 4. Backup your documents regularly. See 360 Document Protection.